Progressive Action Spot

"Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors, but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves." Thomas Jefferson

Friday, September 29, 2006

There Was No Cloture Vote

It took some time wading through Roll Call Votes, Thomas, and calling Senators, but I finally received a response from Senator Feingold’s staffer explaining what happened with the atrocity that is S3930, the Military Commissions Bill.

I had heard it reported on Olbermann last night that the Senate had made a deal to not filibuster in exchange for the opportunity to introduce the four amendments (all of which were voted down on Party line) to this dangerous bill which is the end to America as we know it.

“In exchange for” is not really the proper terminology. It was explained to me that the Dems did not have the 41 votes necessary to filibuster this legislation. Their only option – since Frist had threatened to hold the vote on the bill immediately – was to attempt to be able to strengthen it a little, including adding the Habeas amendment (failed 48-51) to try to protect us.

The bottom line is that they knew that they could not stop it so they did attempt to protect us. They did. Yes, there were ultimately 12 Dem Senators who betrayed their oaths to the protect and defend the Constitution, I can never pretend to explain why this happened – but it did.

I am angry and yes, we should be afraid. Pay attention to number fourteen. Blah, blah, blah – we are just conspiracy theorists… no, we are not. There is a record here of incorrectly detaining people and illegally and immorally torturing them.

The DoD can decide who is an enemy combatant. I repeat, any one of us can be determined to be an enemy combatant. This is true because the term is not defined, it is left up to the President. One person, who has already proved to us that his judgment is less than clear or sane when it comes to the treatment of human beings.

Do not forget that this legislation is designed as an attempt to keep Bush out of jail.

The only saving grace is that the bill itself may be a violation of the Geneva Conventions and Unconstitutional. Senator Smith of Oregon even stated that he hoped that the courts would straighten out the illegality of the revocation of habeas.

It may just come down to International Law saving us from our own government. One can only hope that something will.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM, September 29, 2006, Blogger Anjha said…

    I have been paralized today. Truly emotionally hungover and not well. Distracted by a ton of reading. Obsessed with trying to figure out how this disaster occured.

    I'll be back. I have another post coming, but I am needing to accomplish something now.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, September 29, 2006, Blogger mainsailset said…

    This is debilitating. Thanks for making the effort to find out why the compromise. At this point I am hoping that there is a special place in the Hague for Bush et al.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, September 29, 2006, Blogger Anjha said…

    Thanks Main and thanks for being patient with my absence this week.

     
  • At 12:20 AM, September 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sweet Anjha, If I disappear, please know that it was not suicide! Yeah, I'm down, but not enough to let these fucking repukes keep me down!
    In case the house blows up by mistake or I overdose, it will not be me! I won't give them the satisfaction!

    I'm drunk, sorry, good post! ^
    That fucker up there sounds like scout!

     
  • At 2:34 PM, September 30, 2006, Blogger Anjha said…

    Not Scout...checked him out. Its all good.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, September 30, 2006, Blogger Anjha said…

    Oh, the quotes. Ya, I thought so too - except all of his writings are anti xtian freaks.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, September 30, 2006, Blogger Anjha said…

    BTW - the turdblossom quote was for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home