Progressive Action Spot

"Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors, but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves." Thomas Jefferson

Friday, March 21, 2008

I'm A Typical White Person

You know it's bad when Chris Wallace defends Obama.

The great irony of this new raging debate is that everyone is focusing on the distraction, just as Obama spoke of in his speech.

We can focus on the distractions in the race debates or we can focus on the real issues.

Guess what?! As a typical white person, I too am afraid when a black man passes me by on the street. I am ashamed of this. I do not like this about myself. But when I am alone and I am walking down the street I am more afraid of a black man approaching than a white man. I will instinctively hold on tighter to my bag when it is a black man than a white man.

This is what the discussion needs to be about, not whether or not the word "typical" was used.

We have in our country an almost inbred, instinctive, fear of the "other". It is rare that we have real opportunities to come together as one people and not be divided by our races, genders, religions or politics...even among the so-called Progressives, we are deeply divided between Obama and Hillary.

So, let's get over it already. Can we please stop perusing every transcript for false evidence of supposed racism or sexism and get down to the business of getting together and taking to task the real problems that face us?

This is just one more typical white person attempting to remind us all to quit being so fucking hyper-sensitive about the distractions and get on with the realities.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger Mike said…

    I just thought you'd like to know that the Blogger bar at the top hides the top part of your header banner. I use IE7, so I assume this is happening to most people.

    And congratulations for scoring a 91% on the gullibility test. My son just scored a 2340 on his SAT. How did yours do? (just tryin' to up the ante...)

     
  • At 12:54 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger Anjha said…

    My son is 12 - but he might do really well.

    I did not think that 2340 was a real score, just like I never believed that 0 was a real size.

    I have been proven wrong on both!

    Congrats to your kid, Mike. Sounds brilliant. Hopefully he can graduate quickly and run for office so that he can get us out of this mess!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, March 21, 2008, Blogger Anjha said…

    it didn't use to hide it. Interesting.

    Doesn't hide much.

    Maybe I can try to fix it. Another time. I am done now, for today.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, March 24, 2008, Blogger Mike said…

    These days I would guess that the really smart know better than to run for political office. I mean, really, only dumb people think that politics is a noble profession. Besides, the pay sucks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home