Progressive Action Spot

"Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their attention. Do not be too severe upon their errors, but reclaim them by enlightening them. If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves." Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, August 26, 2006

So, They Gave Us a Day

I mentioned yesterday that Saturday, August 26, 2006, is National ”Women’s Equality Day”.

Yes, it is only a day, but I’ll take it.

It seems that I never create a post that represents the original post that I was going to create, today is no exception. Being that today is a day dedicated to women; I will share some Action Items having to do with women.

Note: These items are not restricted to women only…everyone is invited to participate.

I wandered into the DNC website, looking for something else, and found an entire page dedicated to getting women out to vote.

As I read through it I found several great suggestions and several good organizations.

The League of Women Voters has been around as long as the women’s right to vote has been guaranteed.

The Action Items listed by the LWV are substantial.

For those who are able and willing to hold a community forum the LWV has a fabulous guide for organizing events. (PDF) This particular guide is titled “Local Voices: Citizen Conversations on Civil Liberties and Secure Communities.” I cannot coordinate such an event; there is a cardinal rule for facilitators that instantly disqualifies me: keep your own opinions out of the discussion.

A huge block of voters, who will primarily vote Democratic, are unmarried women. The difficulty is getting these women to the polls. There is a link on this page to register to vote.

I have been reminding my friends and family to make sure that they are registered. This is important. Especially this year. I have the feeling that there will be many, many people disenfranchised. It is important to confirm with your Secretary of State that you are registered to vote. The more people who get to the polls the larger the Dem vote will be. We have to get enough people out to insure that the elections cannot be stolen.

Here is a great article reminding us what we are up against. We have always played by the rules, but we have not fully understood who we are up against.

In honor of Nation Women’s Equality Day NOW has a petition to remind our Representatives that Women’s Equality must be remembered every day.

Here are some other organizations dedicated to Women:

NARAL

Equal Rights Advocates

National Women’s Law Center

Feminist Majority Foundation

Feminist dot com

Planned Parenthood

Feel free to list more in the comments section.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home